Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tyler

I enjoyed reading Tyler's article, "Basic Principles of Curriculum and Instruction". His style is clear and concise. The article caused me to reflect on why the objectives that I teach to my students are important. I am not totally convinced that everything I do teach is applicable or relevant to my pupils. Tyler raises this concern when he discusses the limitations of objectives that are too advanced and technical, leading many students unable to see how they could apply to their lives. Like Tyler, I do agree that objectives must not be static. There are some objectives that were of importance 50 years ago (handwriting) that are not particularly relevant today, although there are some broad objectives (reading, writing, and arithmetic) which remain the same. I like that Tyler states the importance of the interest of the individual child when determining objectives. It is interesting that this article was written in 1949 but is still relevant today.

No comments: