Thursday, October 9, 2008

Dewey- Part 1

Something struck me as I was reading "My Pedagogic Creed", by John Dewey, that I have been meaning to address for some time. On pg. 18 he addresses preparing children for the future, which I think is the primary aim of education, and how it is impossible to do so because the ever changing nature of society. Although his creed was written in 1929, this is a similar view expressed in the clips we watched in Turtleford. While I agree that technology is rapidly changing our society, it is ridiculous to assume that virtually nothing will remain the same. It will still be essential that students learn the 3 Rs (reading, writing, and arithmetic). They will still need to have social skills. The videoclips that we watched in Turtleford expressed that educators are inadequately preparing students for the future, and how can they because they do not know what it holds? This is a cop out. Are we supposed to sit by and teach nothing because the jobs students will be working at probably do not exist today? If I look back at my limited 27 years on earth I do not believe that the world has changed to such a degree that some are suggesting.

There is an interesting video on Youtube called Viral Education 2.0. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX8LTMf_c8Q. It expresses a similar sentiment to the videos we watched in Turtleford.

1 comment:

darcy helmink said...

I have to agree with you. There's always some force or current issue that shapes scoiety and education. the issues often change ( the industrial revolution, the depression, technology) but really, as much as things always change, they really do remain the same. Teachers always want to do their best. I'm not saying that everyone does, but I don't think that anyone goes into a job wanted to do crappy. Maybe just beig aware of the everchanging influcences is half the effort. Maybe the videos from T'ford could be viewed as a challange to teachers?? darcy